“When I think of the library of Alexandria and of the fact that, although it burnt down, people continue to sort the letters of the alphabet according to that tradition, then that makes certain expressions of modernity, even of interventions on the textual level, possible.” Alexander Kluge
“Public libraries are our great teachers and storytellers, and are a vital adjunct to our schools. In this day of standardized and homogenized education, a library offers individual and personalized learning opportunities second to none.” Julie Andrews
“Literatur kann auch die Kluft zwischen dem, wie es ist, und dem, wie es sein sollte, erträglicher machen.”
Auf die Frage, was einen guten Leser/eine gute Leserin auszeichnet, lieferte Nabokov 1969 in einem BBC-Interview mehr Antworten:
- The reader should belong to a book club.
- The reader should identify himself or herself with the hero or heroine.
- The reader should concentrate on the social-economic angle.
- The reader should prefer a story with action and dialogue to one with none.
- The reader should have seen the book in a movie.
- The reader should be a budding author.
- The reader should have imagination.
- The reader should have memory.
- The reader should have a dictionary.
- The reader should have some artistic sense.